Jake Burton defeats cancer
The snowboard pioneer has had successful chemotherapy for testicular cancer. He has been undergoing treatment for the past three months.
Thursday January 26, 2012 - Email this article to a friend
57-year old Jake Burton was diagnosed with cancer last year and said he was sure he could beat it and the doctors confirmed it had been caught in time.
"It appears my cancer is toast," he said this week in a message to staff.
He said there might be some future treatment but effectively he was OK.
He was born in 1954 in New York and in the late 1970's he began making snowboards with friends.
Jake Burton built the first snowboard factory in 1977.
His company has grown to become the largest snowboard manufacturer in the world with 40% of the market and sales are believed to total $700m.
For the spirit of the mountains
Bookmark this page
Related ArticlesBritish snowboarder who died in Chamonix named (Tuesday May 21, 2013)
Miracle escape above Chamonix (Monday May 20, 2013)
Kenton Cool summits Everest for 11th time (Monday May 20, 2013)
New California ski safety bill (Sunday May 19, 2013)
Saudi woman climbs Everest (Saturday May 18, 2013)
Swimming out of an avalanche (Thursday May 16, 2013)
- British snowboarder who died in Chamonix named
- Miracle escape above Chamonix
- Kenton Cool summits Everest for 11th time
- New air route to Switzerland
- Visa exemption for Sochi athletes
- Sir Richard Branson as female flight attendant
- Evolution gave penguins a choice - fly or swim
- Candide Thovex goes skiing
- Fancy swapping your chalet?