Skiing accidents common
An injury on the slopes is one of the most common form of accidents to holidaymakers, according to a new survey. 20% of people on holiday will have an accident or injury in the next 12 months.
Saturday June 2, 2012 - Email this article to a friend
The survey, by Gnu Insurance, said the most common complaint is food poisoning, a car/bicycle accident or a skiing injury.
The company interviewed 2,000 people for the survey.
The expense of bottled water and a fear of needles were reasons given for not following medical advice. Men are less likely to follow the correct advice than women and are more than twice as likely to suffer injury or illness abroad.
People aged 45-54 are least likely to fall ill or be involved in an accident, while those aged 25-34 are the most likely.
Skiing and snowboarding injuries are common with skiers most likely to damage a knee and snowboarders their wrists or shoulder. In one Province of Austria this year injuries went down despite an increase in visitors. See the story here.
The reason was put down to the good snow rather than a change in attitudes or behaviour.
20% of the people who took part in the survey said they were happy to travel without insurance.
For the spirit of the mountains
Bookmark this page
Related ArticlesBritish snowboarder who died in Chamonix named (Tuesday May 21, 2013)
Miracle escape above Chamonix (Monday May 20, 2013)
Kenton Cool summits Everest for 11th time (Monday May 20, 2013)
New California ski safety bill (Sunday May 19, 2013)
Saudi woman climbs Everest (Saturday May 18, 2013)
Swimming out of an avalanche (Thursday May 16, 2013)
- British snowboarder who died in Chamonix named
- Miracle escape above Chamonix
- Kenton Cool summits Everest for 11th time
- New radio station for Chamonix
- Bansko lifts declared illegal again
- How do you judge a successful season?
- New air route to Switzerland
- Visa exemption for Sochi athletes
- Sir Richard Branson as female flight attendant
- Evolution gave penguins a choice - fly or swim
- Candide Thovex goes skiing
- Fancy swapping your chalet?