News Headlines     |     
May
2

Email

LA GRAVE SAVED - James Cove, PlanetSKI Editor
Tuesday May 2, 2017 - Email this article to a friend

The company that runs the lifts in the nearby resort of Alpe d'Huez is set to run the lift system of the cult off piste resort. Many are breathing a sigh of relief but there are some concerns for the future.

The municipal council of La Grave has agreed unanimously to sign a contract with SATA, the company that runs the Alpe d'Huez ski area.

The contract will be signed next week and will last for 30 years.

Here at PlanetSKI we understand that after the contracts are signed the details will be made public.

SATA was awarded the contract after the only other bidder being considered, Compagnie des Alpes, pulled out.

The municipal council says it is happy with the outcome.

"The téléphérique should remain a means of transport giving access to a mountain area, the Vallons de la Meije and Chancel, that will be as natural as it is today," said a statement.

The new lease contract is scheduled to run for 30 years from the 15th of June 2017.

It seems the long-running saga and threat to the resort is now over.

It had been thought the lift may have to shut and that would probably mean the end for the resort.

Here at PlanetSKI we are huge fans of the resort - see here for my report from last winter as I hit it on a powder day.

And so are some of our readers.

Here's a comment over on our facebook page from one of our readers, Matt Carr.

A view of La GraveA view of La Grave

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And see here for our last news story on the threat to the resort from PlanetSKI's chief reporter, Jane Peel.

SATA has said it will build a third stage cable car to the top of the Dome de la Lauze that may open by 2021.

It has also promised to keep on the existing staff and will renovate and replace some of the existing lifts and an increase in operating times.

The proposals will cost in the region of €10m.

Lift prices should remain roughly the same says SATA.

La Grave, FranceLa Grave

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Although it is undoubted good news and many in the resort are breathing a huge sigh of relief, there are some concerns about the future.

With further investments it is feared the character of the resort may change.

"30m investment.... Let's hope they don't over develop it and it loses its character," said PlanetSKI reader, David Letts, over on our Facebook page.

It is a wild and unique resort with no marked pistes and attracts freeriders and those with an independent spirit.

Do check back later as we will have further details and reaction.

See here for the main PlanetSKI news page with all the latest stories from the world of snowsports.

PlanetSKI: No1 for ski news

Related Articles

THE MOST UNLIKELY PLACES TO SKI (Friday May 26, 2017)
IT'S SNOWING IN AFRICA (Friday May 26, 2017)
SKI RESORTS GO ALL OUT FOR SUMMER (Thursday May 25, 2017)
LA GRAVE - THE FUTURE (Tuesday May 23, 2017)
POSTCARD FROM SUN PEAKS (Monday May 8, 2017)
POSTCARD FROM CERVINIA (Monday May 8, 2017)


With thanks to our main sponsors...

Platinum partners

Bronze partners