GB SQUAD FOR EUROPEAN WINTER OLYMPICS
30th January 2019
Last modified on December 19th, 2019
The British team of young winter athletes for Sarajevo 2019 is dominated by skiers and snowboarders.
The British Olympic Association announced that a total 27 athletes will represent Team GB at the Sarajevo 2019 European Youth Olympic Winter Festival (EYOF), 16 of whom are skiers or snowboarders.
They will compete in alpine skiing, cross country skiing and snowboarding disciplines.
Among them is 15-year-old rising star, snowboarder Gabe Adams, who we have featured on PlanetSKI:
“I’m really excited and happy with the opportunity to represent Team GB,” Gabe Adams said.
“It’s so surreal – I thought this type of competition was so far-fetched when I started snowboarding.
“It would be good to go to the Games and come back with a good result.
“It would be great to give something back to all my family and friends who have supported me along the way.”
In addition to the snowsport events, GB will also be represented in curling, short track speed skating, biathlon and figure skating.
Approximately 1,500 athletes from 50 European countries will take part in what is Europe’s largest multi-sport event.
It takes place from 9th to the 16th February.
“The European Youth Olympic Festivals are fantastic opportunities for our young winter athletes to experience life in a multi-sport Games for the first time and test themselves against the best young athletes in Europe,” said Lewis Coggins, Team GB Chef de Mission for Sarajevo 2019.
“To be involved in seven out of the eight sports on offer shows the continuing progression of winter sports in the UK and I hope this opportunity will help athletes to develop as well as act as a positive springboard for their future careers.”
The aspiring Winter Olympians will be following in the footsteps of alpine skier Chemmy Alcott and freeskier Katie Summerhayes, who have both graduated from youth events to represent Team GB at the Olympic Winter Games.
Sarajevo 2019 is the 14th edition of the EYOF and the first to be held in Bosnia & Herzegovina.
- Charles Rankin (17) from Bonnyrigg, Midlothian
- Daisi Daniels (16) from Rochdale, Greater Manchester
- Edouard Guigonnet (17) from Les Menuires, France
- Kieran Doyle (18) from Villars-sur-Ollon, Switzerland
- Olivia Foster (18) from Leatherhead, Surrey
- Owen Vinter (17) from Glasgow, Scotland
- Sarah Woodward (17) from North Warnborough, Hampshire
- Victoria Palla (18) from Moedling, Austria (featured in our headline photo by Vanessa Fry Photography)
- Alexander Franks-Penty (17) from Hvalsted, Norway
- Beinn Horsfall (17) from Quaix-en-Chartreuse, France
- Ethan Smith (15) from Southampton, Hampshire
- Gabe Adams (15) from Bridgnorth, Shropshire
- Lara Cabrera-Myram (15) from Houston, Scotland
- Leon Drynan (16) from Lochwinnoch, Scotland
- Lewis Moore (15) from Glasgow, Scotland
- Luca Lane-Hopkins (16) from Swansea, Wales