News Headlines     |     


Sarah Burke dies from injuries
Thursday January 19, 2012 - Email this article to a friend

Canadian freestyle skier Sarah Burke died on Thursday morning, nine days after crashing whilst training in Utah. Tributes are coming in and the ski world is in mourning.

29-year-old Sarah Burke was injured on 10th January in an accident in the half-pipe. 

Sarah Burke was a World Champion and Winter X Games winner.

As well as her triumphs at the X-Games in Aspen she won the inaugural World Championship half-pipe event and has been a keen campaigner to get her sport included in the Olympic Games.

We reported on the accident here on PlanetSKI at the time.

It is with sadness that we print the following statement from her publicist:

19th January 2012

"Groundbreaking Canadian freestyle skier Sarah Burke passed away at 9:22 a.m., January 19, 2012, at the University of Utah Hospital from injuries sustained in an accident on the Eagle Superpipe at Park City Mountain Resort on Tuesday, January 10, 2012. She was training for upcoming winter events.

As the result of Sarah’s fall, she suffered a ruptured vertebral artery, one of the four major arteries supplying blood to the brain.The rupture of this artery led to a severe intracranial hemorrhage, which caused Sarah to go into cardiac arrest on the scene.

Emergency personnel responded and CPR was administered on the scene during which time she remained without a pulse or spontaneous breathing.

Studies in the University of Utah Hospital Emergency Department indicated that she retained brainstem function. She was placed on life support and a protocol of therapeutic hypothermia was initiated to protect her brain. An angiogram indicated the site of arterial bleeding, and on Wednesday, January 11 the injured artery was successfully repaired.

After the operation, numerous neurological examinations, electrodiagnostic tests and imaging studies revealed that Sarah sustained severe irreversible damage to her brain due to lack of oxygen and blood after cardiac arrest, resulting in hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy.

Sarah passed away peacefully surrounded by those she loved. In accordance with Sarah’s wishes, her organs and tissues were donated to save the lives of others.

While early reports in the media stated that Sarah’s injury was a traumatic brain injury, it is important to note that Sarah’s condition was the result of a lack of oxygen to the brain during cardiac arrest.

The family wishes to express their deep gratitude to Sarah’s dear friends for their love and support, and for traveling to Salt Lake City to comfort the family.

They would also like to thank the University of Utah Hospital and her physicians and care team in the Neuro Critical Care Unit for their incredible care and compassion.

The family was moved by the sincere and heartfelt sympathy expressed by people inspired by Sarah from all around the world. They have received a substantial number of inquiries from those who would like to make a contribution on behalf of Sarah. For more information, please go to

A public celebration of Sarah’s life will be held in the coming weeks."

On the Internet fans and well wishers are leaving messages of condolence  on her Facebook Page.

May she rest in peace

For the spirit of the mountains

Related Articles

SKI CHALET SCAMS ARE BACK (Tuesday October 15, 2019)
OCTOBER NEWS IN BRIEF (Tuesday October 15, 2019)
SKI SURVEY: THE RESULTS (Friday October 11, 2019)
PLANE CRASHES INTO CHAIRLIFT (Friday October 11, 2019)

With thanks to our main sponsors...

Platinum partners

Bronze partners